Terroir

Vino Nobile di Montepulciano
Poggio Uliveto
SURFACE AREA: 50 acres

GEOLOGICAL COMPOSITION OF THE SOIL: clay loam with predominance of sand in some areas and absence of stony fragments.

ALTITUDE ABOVE SEA LEVEL: 350m

EXPOSURE: South-East.

TRAINING SYSTEM: Spurred cordon.

ESTATE: Tenimenti Conti Borghini Baldovinetti De' Bacci

WINEMAKER: Averardo Borghini Baldovinetti



> Discover more about
Tenimenti Conti Borghini
Baldovinetti De' Bacci estate


The oldest documented reference to the wine of Montepulciano is from 789: the cleric Arnipert offered the church of San Silvestro or San Salvatore at Lanciniano on Mt Amiata a plot of land cultivated with vineyards in the estate of the castle of Policiano. That the vineyards of Mons Pulitianus produced excellent wines has been documented since the late Middle Ages, and in the mid-16th century Sante Lancerio, cellarman to Pope Paolo III Farnese, defined Montepulciano as “as perfect in winter as in summer, fragrant, rounded, never sour or lacking in colour, truly a wine fit for a Lord”. Moving from the Middle Ages to the 17th century, famed poet Francesco Redi also attested to the nobility of the wine, singing its praises in the 1685 poem Bacco in Toscana (Bacchus in Tuscany), a kind of ante litteram wine tour. Referring to wine from the Montepulciano area, Reda spoke of “a liquor that steals into the heart”, opining that “Montepulciano is the king of wines”. The poem met with great success and passed from one royal court to another, finally falling into the hands of William III of England, Scotland and Ireland. This led to an English delegation journeying to the Grand Duchy of Tuscany in 1669 to acquire Moscadello di Montalcino and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano for the English court. In the early 20th century Vino Nobile di Montepulciano seemed to have become a thing of the past until the first exhibition of typical local wines held in Siena in 1933, where some prestigious red wines were presented to great public acclaim. Subsequently, the first cooperative winery was founded in 1937. Most of the wine produced was Chianti, with small quantities of Nobile. This trend was reversed in the 1960s, however, with the revival of vineyards dedicated to the production of Vino Nobile as opposed to Chianti. In 1966 Nobile di Montepulciano had become renowned as one of the best wines in Italy, and was awarded DOC status. Recognition of DOCG status came fifteen years later, in 1981, and Vino Nobile began a new chapter: some of the established vineyards introduced modern changes to their vines and cellars, while new producers, some from outside the region, also helped rejuvenate the entire zone.

The production code for Vino Nobile di Montepulciano D.O.C.G. dictates the use of a minimum of 70% of Sangiovese Grosso grapes, known locally as Prugnolo Gentile, a maximum of 20% of Canaiolo Nero with the remainder made up of small amounts of other local varieties, which at one time were predominantly Colorino and Mammolo. The wine is aged for a minimum of 24 months, of which at least 12 months must be in wooden barrels. Only bottles that have undergone 36 months of aging after harvesting as at 1st January can be labelled as reserve wines.

The grape varieties available
in Vino Nobile di Montepulciano